Friday, June 26, 2009

I'm packing to get away for the weekend and am already feeling much better. I haven't run off to a relaxing getaway since January. Everything has been race-race-race. It's definitely time. I'll finally get to see my little cat Leopold, cook something delicious on the old gas stove, lay around under the wall of books and records, burn some nag champa, listen to my Moody Blues records, take a dip in the huge tub... etc, etc, etc! I love the way the apartment feels. It's been so long. I can't wait to be in my niche. I'm actually grateful for the quiet town of Wichita Falls where rush hour doesn't exist.

I was wondering this afternoon why I've been so gloomy and sad and it reminded me of Superweek my first year racing, it was 9 days of crits and road races. When I returned home I remember feeling pretty depressed for about a week. Mina my good friend and mentor, told me way back then that it's totally normal to feel depressed after coming out of a long stage race and months of racing on end. Nature Valley last week was a beast. There was 2 more stages than the last time I went. Also, I've only been doing 60 minute crits for the last 2 years. Yeah, the occasional road race but nothing more than 40-50 miles with a pack of regional riders. Aside from Redlands, but that was a season opener. Last week was 1. a crazy hard time trial, 2. a crit averaging 28.8 mph, 3. a 70 mile road race where I contested all 3 QOM sprints (Queen of the Mountain - hey, I even got one! and to think, I was 2 points away from wearing the climbers jersey! ...wtf?!) After that 4. another crit averaging 27 mph, then 5. a 92 mile road race with a 4 lap circuit and a 1 K 18% climb, and FINALLY 6. a small circuit including a 250 meter climb averaging 20%.
No wonder I'm totally bugging out this week. The last time I did a road race more than 70 miles was in 2004!

So my apologies for being so melancholy. I definitely have my bouts, but I do tend to feel happy most of the time. Ahh, mania, it does make for better writing.

And hey, I'm already on the up & up. I found an absolutely stunning pair of pink and purple faux snake skin 4 inch quasi modest stilettos for 75% off. Nice... nice...

No comments:

Post a Comment